Autumn is nearly upon us which means flu season is right around the corner. Along with the unrelenting coronavirus pandemic already wreaking havoc on the world the stage is set for a potential pathological assault on our bodies.
As safeguards to prevent infection of these harmful viruses the CDC recommends 6 feet of physical distance, face masks, frequent hand-washing, disinfection of commonly used surfaces several times throughout the day and a host of general safety precautions.
These are formidable measures to keep us safe, at least until a vaccine is discovered. However, there is always a chance of breakdown in the application of these preventive measures.
If that happens it'll be up to our immune system to fight off these pathogens.
So, how can we build up our immune system?
Follow the tips below to give your immune system the reinforcements it needs to do battle - and win! - against these nasty invaders.
1. Eat plenty of fruits & vegetables
* Citrus is a great source of vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant.
* Red bell peppers: contain 3 times the vitamin C as Oranges.
* Broccoli: packed with vitamins A, C & E, fiber and antioxidants.
* Garlic: contains allicin, a sulfer-containing compound known for improving immunity.
* Ginger: historically known for reducing inflammation & chronic pain.
* Spinach: loaded with vitamin C, beta-carotene & antioxidants.
* Greek yogurt: a great source of vitamin D as well as live and active cultures which stimulate the immune system.
* Almonds: substantial amount of vitamin E (the other antioxidant).
* Chia seeds: rich in omega-3 fatty acids which support immunity & anti-inflammation.
* Turmeric: powerful anti-inflammatory properties.
* Green tea: loaded with flavonoids (powerful antioxidant), more* specifically* * a* * compound known as epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG).
2. Minimize stress (engage in as many of the following as possible or desired)
* Meditation: focus of the mind or deep thought, with the aid of chanting as a method of relaxation.
* Exercise: a means of releasing various hormones including endorphins (mood elevators).
* Reading: a escape into a literary world from everyday activities to promote relaxation.
* Relaxing music: can quiet the mind and relax the muscles.
* Counseling: helps with identifying sources of stress and develop new thought patterns that can reduce stress.
3. Exercise regularly
* Is one of the pillars of developing a stronger immune system.
* Improves cardiovascular health.
* Lowers blood pressure.
* Controls body weight.
* Helps reduce stress (see above).
4. Maintain a healthy weight
* Healthy weight promotes a healthy body.
* Overweight suppresses the immune response.
5. Get adequate rest
* Necessary for repair of body tissue.
* Controls use of energy.
* Release of cytokines, proteins that promote sleep and fight off infection.
6. Avoid! (the following suppress the immune system)
* Illicit drugs
* Alcohol abuse
* Processed foods
* Sugary foods and drinks
Active Bodies are HEALTHY Bodies!