Summer weather is here and in AZ and that means it's HOT HOT HOT!!! So, if you plan to continue hiking trails (Piestewa Peak, South Mountain, etc.) and engaging in outdoor activities (softball, soccer, boot camp) here in the valley then, you're going to need to prepare before you go.
Hydration is pinnacle! To ensure safety it is imperative that you begin hydrating prior to your activity. Then, be sure to have plenty of fluids during. Finally, rehydrate and recover once you've finished! . . .you're gonna need it!!
Here are some tips for hydrating your body before, during and after your next outdoor activity:
- 1 Hour prior to the event drink approx 20oz of water
- 15 minutes prior to event drink 8oz Gatorade (or similar sports drink)
- Drink 1 cup (8oz) water every 10-15 minutes during
- If the activity is expected to go beyond 90 minutes, take a sports drink and drink 1 cup (8oz) every 10-15 minutes
- Drink at least 3 cups (24oz) for every pound lost in sweat; estimate 2.5 lbs lost (could be more) - of fluid after the event. Combo up water with Gatorade to replenish lost electrolytes.
Be a smart Active Body and have a safe time out in the summer heat! Please share this with your friends!.